August 20, 2010

How I went from infirm to energetic

I was having dinner with a very dear friend tonight and a topic came up: my friend was having serious problems with her energy levels. Given her recent troubles, it wasn't unexpected but she's so out of breath that it brought to mind a situation I had many years ago and what I did to "cure" myself. Many a moon ago, I worked in a lab that poisoned me with chlorine gas. I went from being quite active to not being able to vacuum my tiny apartment in a matter of months. My lung function was so poor that the doctor who examined me actually asked me to sit down to review the results directly with him in his office. I was put on a variety of medication and given a schedule by which to see him. After 3 months, there was no real improvement - with the meds I could vacuum but not go up the 2 flights of stairs to my place without taking a breather. So I started looking into alternatives. By chance, I came across the book by Dr. Robert Fulford: Touch of Life. (I've since found out that it is available in paperback to this day. It was first published in 1996 - 1 year before the beginning of my symptoms. Lucky for me.) Dr. Fulford was an osteopath. The DO stands for Doctor of Osteopathy. This discipline is similar to medical school but the methods are very different. Osteopaths usually deal with injury repair - not like I was shot and need my tissues put back together. More like I was shot 3 months ago and need to remold and repair the area. They also deal with chronic injuries like those that result from childhood trauma or car accidents; you get the idea. Part of how it works is by opening up the congested, scarred region to the flow of the body's energy. And, at the end of this book is a chapter called exercises. I pulled the exercise pix that I'll post here from this osteopathy pdf. These exercises together with using a cleansing tea called FlorEssence took me from that terrible physical state to being able to help my parents re-roof their home just4 weeks later. I even went back to university right after that. And as everyone who's been knows, this is not a stress-free endeavor. So what is FlorEssence? This is a tea that was based on Renee Caisse's original formula known as Essiac tea. Essiac contains burdock root, Indian rhubarb root, sheep sorrel and slippery elm. This formulation was based on a Native American/ Native Canadian combination used to treat cancers and other serious ailments. If memory serves, Ms. Caisse was allowed to test the tea on terminal, untreatable cancer cases early in the 20th century. The results were so unexpectedly favourable that the formula has not died but instead been expanded by an additional manufacturer in the form of Flor Essence. It contains the same four herbs plus watercress, blessed thistle, red clover and kelp thought to increase the potency of the Essiac formula. For me, the combination did wonders. I've used the tea for 3-12 weeks every year since (expect when pregnant and nursing). Unfortunately, I've let the exercises go by the wayside. This blog post is reminding me of how good it felt to do these exercises and I think it would make a great addition to my daily routine. Well, I hope that this combo can help you or someone you know. And please check out Touch of Life. It changed my views of medicine and what has been practiced in North America for the last 100 years. Here are the exercises - try them out. They're simple and surprisingly beneficial.

No comments:

Post a Comment